Thursday, January 5, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo by eyestudio 24 hour eyeshadows



I am a lover of Maybelline's gel liner so of course when I saw these lovlies I was awestruck. I came across the display unexpectantly in Walmart. I wasnt aware they were even being released.
I expected them to be Mac's paint pot wannabe's. I was in for a surprise !

There are ten fantastic shades that I will review for you in this post. Rather than a paint pot or base, these are reminiscent of Make Up For Ever's Aqua Creams. In fact, I actually prefer most of them over the aqua creams! Thats good news if you want all 10. Considering a 10 set of Aqua Creams was just released at Sephora retailing 200 USD. I purchased these for $6.29 each :) They are available at mass merchandisers nationwide. Mot of the time you can find promotions for BOGo1/2 on Maybelline. Combine that with a coupon for Maybelline or 3.50 off 10$ purchase at Ulta and you can get them even cheaper.

The formula was smooth, creamy, and easy to apply. I had no issue applying them with a synthetic brush. I was suprised at how blendable and buildable they were. They work fantastic as bases but are intended to be stand alone shadows, that being said they are reviewed here as such. Lets get right to it. Let's look at the neutrals first ... Its time to
STEP ON THE SCALES!

 seen left to right: Too Cool, Bold Gold, Bad to the Bronze, Tough as Taupe, Audacious Asphalt

Too Cool is a shimmering white that flashes towards silver. It is fantastic to wear under any eyeshadow to increase its vibrancy. As with all these creams seen here, when applied as a base, they will ensure 24 hour wear to whatever is applied on top. The only issue I had with Too Cool is it applied a bit streaky. Nothing so severe that I was frustrated with it...only that it requires more of a pat on application that a blendable one.It is waterproof. 
Packaging-20/20,Pricing-20/20,Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-28/30
The Payoff -A+-worth it !


Bold Gold is a shimmering yellow gold, it would pair perfectly with Urban Decay's Half Baked. Bold Gold applied flawlessly and it wore flawlessly. It is completly waterproof.
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-30/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

Bad to the Bronze is a shimmering tawny bronze. It pairs nicely with Urban Decay's Toasted. The glittery effect this gives in person is amazing. There is zero fallout. It applied flawlessly,and wore flawlessly. It also is waterproof.
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-30/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

Tough as Taupe- is a matte grey taupe, a gorgeous mushroomy color. It is the only matte cream in the launch, as you can see it has no sheen when flashed. It is opaque immediatly and very creamy. As you may have seen in swatches, it can have the slightest streaking to it. It has 24 hour wear, It is the only one that began to lift under waterproof testing. It held mostly intact even after scrubbing.
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-29/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

Audacious Asphalt-is a shimmering charcoal that pairs well with  Urban Decay's gunmetal. I had zero issues with this product, it is glittery without being overly so and had no fallout. It is waterproof and intensifies any darker eyeshadow.
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-30/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

Seen below...Under Flash


 AND NOW FOR THE COLORS ! :)

 Edgy Emerald under flash






 From Left to Right: Tenacious Teal, Painted Purple, Pomegranate Punk, Fierce and Tangy,Edgy Emerald-and below under flash


Tenacious Teal and Edgy Emerald - (reviewed together due to simularities) Tenacious teal is a bright blue green with a silver glitter underneath. In person it pulls more blue than in photos. In looks very simular to edgy emerald on camera. The differences are that while edgy emerald is a shimmering teal, it is more mermaid turquoise than teal...For instance, edgy emerald is more like the color of essies turquoise and caicos nail laquer. Edgy emerald is a shimmer while tenacious teal pulls glittery and is much more vibrant. Tenacious Teal applies more opaquly, while Edgy Emerald requires some building up . The are both fantastic overall. They are both waterproof and provide 24 hours of creaseproof wear.
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-30/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

Painted Purple-is a vibrant matte royal purple. It is the shade that initially attracted me and unfortunatly it was the only shade I had issues with. It applied a bit streaky and required build up. The color itself is beautiful and original. It flashes with a bit of sheen. The only issue I had with it as a standalone eyeshadow was the streaking and the need to build up for consistancy, but it was still an amazing product. I am still pleased with it.
Packaging-20/20, Pricing- 20/20, Pigmentation-25/30, Performance- 25/30
The Payoff- A - Still worth it :)

Pomegrante Punk- is a gorgeous bronzy plum. It has plum shimmer and pulls more brown on my yellow undertones. It looks cranberry or burgandy in the pot. This color is excellent for green eyes. It like the others is waterproof, performs perfectly, and wears 24 hours creasefree!
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-30/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

Fierce and Tangy- is a terracotta, burnished yellowed orange. I know there is no such thing as "mostly matte" Its kinda like being"a little pregnant" But I still feel like this is mostly matte, unless you look at it under flash it is matte. It pulls the slightest bit of gold shimmer when flashed.  It applies opaqually. It is a very original color. It works amazingly well alone or to add vibrancy to golden or tangerine shadows. It wears 24 hours with no creasing.
Packaging- 20/20, Pricing-20/20, Pigmentation-30/30,Performance-30/30 
The Payoff- A+ -Worth it !

I happened to wear Fierce and tangy on my lids and Pomegrante Punk in the crease on Christmas Eve. I applied them at around 9 am 12/24. Unfortunatly I was up alll night wrapping presents.....

and I didnt go to bed until 1230 pm on 12/25, So...I actually wore them 28 hours! I know! I know! Thats absolutly aweful! BUt i completly forgot to remove my makeup I was so focused on getting all of that done ---------------------->
When I looked in the mirror 28 hours later My makeup was still perfect! No smudging, budging, cresing or fading! So when I give them full performance ratings I know first hand !






Now lets move onto to the waterproof test !

Initially, I ran my arm under running tap water for 30 seconds timed. I then submersed my arm in water and allowed it to sit for 30 seconds, I then immediatly took photos.

after 30 seconds in water


after 30 seconds in water

Next, I returned my arm to the water and this time I scrubbed vigourously over the swatches for 30 seconds.I then immediatly photographed.

after 30 seconds scrubbing


after 30 seconds scrubbing

So as you can see they all held up suprisingly well ! See anything you love? Let me know your thoughts!


2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!!! I saw a review on these on yt this morning, but this is sooo much more indepth!! Super impresse!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much !
    What about I just figured out how to reply to comments !! If I can figure out how to get my camcorder to film then my chanelwill be in buisness!

    ReplyDelete