Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Step on the Scales! An in depth look at the rating system


Step on the Scales
Nurse Jens Beauty Clinic
Rating system
I have always been accused of being too analytical. Being of a scientific mind and armed with training in a profession that charges one to critically think, I can only approach all avenues in life with process J
Often when reading reviews I see things like, “This product is great! Buy it! You won’t be sorry! I highly recommend it!” But…when I see these statements I think …What makes the product great? How do I know I won’t be sorry? Why should I trust your recommendation?
After all, Money don’t grow on trees! No matter how many times I find myself singing, “I want money lots and lots a money, I wanna be rich! Ah oh”
I never see that pie in the sky L
So…When I make a purchase, I wanna be sure it’s going to be something I love! Something that lives up to my expectations and that performs the way I expected. There are few things worse than spending 50$ on a product only to learn you basically had it already in another form and it wasn’t all it cracked up to be.
That’s why I have put careful thought and consideration into the rating system I will implement here at the clinic.
Now for the serious bit…
It is of course not exactly scientific. It is, like all forms of review, open to the interpretation of the reviewer and ultimately the reviewers opinion.
As a consumer it is important to understand not only the system the person reviewing the product uses to make their decision but also what each part of their review means to them exactly. It is very important to me to write and provide honest, accurate reviews uninfluenced by outside sources.  So I have written a detailed description of how I review products and what each part means to me specifically as the reviewer.
I have broken it down into a little process I like to call
Step on the Scales
When a product is reviewed in the clinic it will undergo 4 categories of assessment.
I will be testing the products 4 P’s.
Packaging,Pricing,Pigmentation,Performance
Leading up to the Payoff.
What does that mean? Let’s define…
Packaging-The package in which merchandise is sold or displayed
Pricing-the sum or amount of money or its equivalent for which anything is bought, sold, or offered for sale. Specifically, in this forum, How the product compares in pricing trends to similar products currently available in the same market or culturally understood category e.g.– drugstore or high-end. For example, we would expect LancĂ´me mascara to be 28$ we would not expect Covergirl mascara to be 28$ therefore it would unreasonably priced)
Pigmentation- correlation with or deposition of pigment. Specifically in this forum, the amount or saturation of color deposited onto the skin in comparison to the advertised or understood color of product. For example, I will not score a product poorly on pigmentation when the advertised claim is “sheer wash of color”
Performance- the execution or accomplishment of works of a particular action. Specifically in this forum, How the product performs in comparison to its advertised performance. For example, I will not score an eyeliner low in performance for not being waterproof if it made no claims to be waterproof.

And finally the above combined bring us to the payoff.
The payoff as defined by the outcome or final sequence in a series of events or actions or the reward. In this forum, the overall benefit of obtaining and using the product. Start to finish.
How is it scored?
Each product reviewed has the potential to earn 100 points or 100%. I chose this because we are almost all familiar with this grading system of 100= A+…
Each of the 4 P’s have different factors considered to earn points for their category as seen below
                                                       


Packaging 20points
Pricing 20points
Durability
Reasonable when compared to comparable item
Ease of transport
Limited edition or Hard to Find
Ease of use Opening/Closing/obtaining product
Collectible
Protection of product
Performance or Originality/cant be duped
Attractiveness of Packaging
Quantity or longevity



Pigmentation 30points
Performance 30points
Matches advertised color
Ease of application
Accurate color reached with reasonable amount
Longevity/lasting power
Has the amount of pigment to be expected in its category
Performance in comparison to similar in its category
Consistency of pigment in application
Lives up to its claims of performance


Points will be calculated and then given an overall grade level
100-95 A+
94-90 A-
89-85 B+
84-80 B-
79-75 C+
74-70 C-
69-65 D+
64-60 D-
59 and under F
Now there ! If you’re still awake and still reading congratulations!  I am aware that was not fun for all J hopefully, it will help you to understand the process a product undergoes when stepping on the scales at Nurse Jens Beauty Clinic! I welcome any suggestions. After all, these reviews are for you! See anything you think should be taken into consideration not mentioned above? Let me know!

Disclaimer- The above ratings system was developed solely by Jennifer Griffin, RN and is the express copyright of such, Any attempt to use, credit, copy, or redistribute without permission will be considered copyright infringem

1 comment: